"I wanted to get back with you and thank Video MVP for a great job on the recent dubbing of three 7" reel-to-reel tapes to .wav files. Much better job and service than my experience with "brand X". Files that came back were complete, clear, everything was labeled how I requested, and the turn-around time was very reasonable. Plus real communication from a person instead of canned replies from a call service."
Let Us Handle Your Audio Conversion
Back in the day, reel-to-reel audio tapes were the best recording option to capture homemade interviews and spontaneous jam sessions. Although these tapes had several recording speeds and lengths, we'll take the headache out of preserving these timeless moments. Reels can vary in size from 3" to 10.5" in diameter. You may even hear a voice you thought you'd never hear again! Whether you prefer an Audio CD, MP3, or WAV, we're here to help.
First, we carefully capture your analog audio reels into one of our editing systems. Next, we digitally clean the audio by removing and reducing the hiss and hum that normally comes with old audio (Bonus: we do this for FREE). Lastly, we will either burn a CD or export a file for USB, based on your preference. We can even make copies so you can share with family and friends.
- Conversion work is done here in our office. Whether you come into our office or mail us your order, have peace of mind knowing that the people you speak to (or email) will be the same people working on your audio reels.
- We will convert any size order, whether you have one reel or hundreds.
- We will give you an estimated completion date. Often for small orders, we can complete it within a few business days.
- Got a deadline? Let us know when you need it and we will do whatever we can to meet your schedule.
- Please feel free to ask questions. After 35+ years of converting old media, we know a thing or two.
"They were wonderful the entire process. I had a reel to reel tape I had carried with me for 50 years. It had my deceased first husbands voice on it. I wanted to give it to my son so he could hear his fathers voice. He was only 18 months old when his dad died. They were very caring throughout the entire process. I highly recommend them!"
How long are reel-to-reel tapes?
There are a variety reel sizes and recording speeds. The most common sizes are 3" to 7" in diameter, however we can convert up to 10.5" (NAB) reels. Recording speeds of 3 3/4 ips (inches per second), 7 1/2 ips, and 15 ips are common. So, that may not mean much to you. Don't worry about it! We'll digitize whatever is on your reel and convert it to the format you want.
|Audio Reel Size (length)
|| 1 7/8 ips
| 3 3/4 ips
|7 1/2 ips
|3" (150 feet)
|5" (600 feet)
|7" (1200 feet)
|10.5" (2400 feet)
Note: Table shows the total possible minutes per reel. The speed is measured in inches per second (ips). The feet and lengths listed above are for common reels. Reels can be mono or stereo, and some reels can contain multiple recording speeds.
Quick Tips about Audio Files
- Audio files (MP3 and WAV) can hold hours of content in one file.
- For recorded music, an individual file can be created for each song. This is dependent on gaps of silence between songs.
- For live music, individual song files may not be as accurate due to crowd noise.
- WAV files are higher quality and are recommended if you plan to edit your audio.
Quick Tips about Audio CDs
- Audio CDs can only hold about 80 minutes.
- For recorded music, CD tracks can be added if desired.
- For voice recordings, we recommend a single track.
- Audio CD files cannot be copied off and used. However, you can use software to rip the CD and create audio files.
- CDs can be custom printed with your text and include a space-saving CD case.